Monday, 12 November 2012

Two days in Hamburg

At the end of September I went to Hamburg. 
We didn't want to miss the Alice in Wonderland exhibition at the Hamburg Kunsthalle, that was due to finish that month and also we felt like we needed a change of scenery - see something new and hopefully come home, feeling really inspired.

The last time I had been to Hamburg, I had just finished school. I had liked Hamburg a lot then and had plans of moving to the city, which never happened. Having revisited it now, I think Hamburg still rocks! It is a much bigger city than I recalled, but still as exciting as I remembered it.
Here are a few of the things I noticed! 


Hamburg facades

I never look up enough. Facades are sometimes so amazing, the shape of windows, ornaments, faces one can spot , sometimes obvious ones like here and of course, architectural elements like these balconies.

the missing letters

I really like how the missing letter shapes have just been painted in to fill the gaps. This entrance to the Gängeviertel was really interesting, as you can see in the full view below. I spotted the doll (below right) in a shop window display somewhere else and was intrigued by its beautiful handmade quality.


gateway to heaven

Safe the golden legs

The backyards at Gängeviertel are full of junk, but the kind of junk, that is hand picked and then lovingly arranged to form a sculpture or just some kind of three-dimensional still life. One ought to have some golden legs!


junkyard deluxe


stuff on the wall and inside a window

We saw some good street art in Hamburg, like this line painting here. We also spotted some interesting looking shops and cafés with unusual shop window displays, like this one, that had a collection of old toys, but unfortunately was closed, when we got there.

dollar grin

Cat and cards


rusty church gate

Above, the gate of a church. We passed it one of our excursions through the city. It was huge and definitely eye-catching with its rusty golden orange colour and interesting textured surface.

patterns

flags and statues

The flags above were just outside Hamburg Kunsthalle, where we saw the Alice in Wonderland exhibition. It was an inspiring show featuring the work of many artists, very thoughtfully curated. Afterwards, I felt like reading the Alice stories again, just to refresh my memory and immerse myself into this strange, fascinating world. "Through the Looking Glass" was the first ever movie I saw at the cinema as a child and I still remember its bizarre magic.

my Hamburg sketchbook page

On the trip, I didn't get to sketch much, unfortunately. There isn't much more about the exhibition or Hamburg in my sketchbook, beyond these two pages. Our little guy was experiencing his first unintended sugar rush when we got to the exhibition and proved to be a bit of a handful. Poor little boy! The next day he was himself again and as sweet as ever. Together we explored some of Hamburgs adventurous children's playgrounds, that were a lot of fun even though it rained and we found him his now favourite T-shirt at the Human Empire shop, it's green with a drawing of an orange tiger!

two-headed snake demon

All photos by myself and Kenn Munk.

No comments:

Post a Comment