Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Sketchbooks: Animals

Sketchbooks are special.

I love looking at sketchbooks and even more so, I like to keep one as my steady companion wherever I go. In my sketchbook I note down observations, in writing and drawing; lost & found things find their place; I make collages and sometimes small paintings; I test out ideas, colour combinations and compositions, I experiment with calligraphy; I doodle, embellish, rip and patch up, sew and glue.

To sum it up, my sketchbook is the manifestation of my thoughts when it comes to the development of creative ideas and concepts. With it I document processes of development and the making of creative projects and collaborations.

My sketchbooks are like friends, whom I miss when they are filled up and whom I revisit to look for ideas.

Here is a small selection of pages from my sketchbooks, where I focussed on animal studies. They were made on trips to my favourite museum in the world, the Natural History Museum in London (I never tire of its architectual beauty!) and while visiting the peculiar collection of natural history specimens at the Horniman Museum in Forest Hill, London, where I am always happy to see my old friend the overstuffed walrus!

armadillo
Nine-banded armadillo and a common eider

parrot
Red-sided parrot and Lady Amherst's pheasant


birds
Heron and kookaborra

horse
Domestic horse

horned mammals
Mammals with horns and teeth or wool

anteater
Giant anteater

wolf
Maned wolf

sea creatures
Octopus and other sea creatures

star fish
Starfish and deep-sea angler fish




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sketches. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks! It is inspiring to see how many different projects you do:)

    ReplyDelete